Applications are currently underway for the 2017 edition of The Japan Foundation Summer Institute in Japan. The programme is held with the aim of providing opportunities for young researchers and graduate students to build on their capabilities, as well as form a trilateral network among scholars from across Japan, the United States and Southeast Asia.
Duration: 6?10 July, 2017
Locations: Tokyo and Hayama
Participants: Approx. 24 researchers from Japan, the U.S., and 10 ASEAN countries
Optional tour: Interested participants may join an observation tour of areas affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake on 11?12 July
1. The applicant must be a graduate student or scholar in the field of Japanese studies who is affiliated with an institution of higher learning or a research institution in Japan, the U.S., or one of 10 ASEAN countries. Postdoctoral researchers are also welcomed to apply.
2. Applicants must be able to attend lectures and discussions in English. Preferences are made to those who are able to speak Japanese.
3. Applicants must be in good health.
4. Applicants must be able to commit to the entire programme
1. Round-trip airfare
2. Domestic transportation, accommodation, and meals
3. Daily allowance
4. Teaching materials and equipment
5. International travel insurance
6. Other costs related to the programme
Step 1 | Prepare the following documents:
a) Application form (download here)
b) Statement of purpose (max. 2 pages)
c) ID photograph
Step 2 | Send the aforementioned documents to summer_institute＠jpf.go.jp by Sunday, April 30, 2017.
All applicants will be notified of results by the end of May 2017.
Enquiries & More Information
Official webpage: jpf.go.jp/e/project/intel/study/network/2017/03-01.html
Enquiries by applicants from Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei:
Call The Japan Foundation, Kuala Lumpur at +6 03 2284 6228 or email email@example.com
Applicants from outside these three countries are advised to contact their local Japan Foundation office.