The Japan Foundation, Kuala Lumpur announces the opening of the application process for the 2017 edition of the Talk to a Muslim series (TAMU). Now in its second year, the annual programme is held with the aim of developing better understanding in Japan of Southeast Asia culture and society, in which moderate Islam is deeply embedded, by engaging the region’s Muslims in various activities of exchange with Japanese youth.
Duration: 5–14 November, 2017 (10 days)
Locations: Tokyo and Oita (tentative)
Participants: Eight young Muslims representing Indonesia (3), Malaysia (2), Philippines (1), Thailand (1), and Singapore (1) who actively engage in social activities and/or services based on Islamic values
1. The applicant must be a Muslim national of Malaysia.
2. The applicant must be below 40 years of age as of 1 November, 2017.
3. The applicant must be actively engaged in social activities and/or services based on Islamic values in such fields as education, welfare, cooperatives, microfinance, environmental conservation, disaster recovery and prevention, human rights and advocacy, conflict resolution, etc.
4. The applicant must have a high degree of awareness regarding the various challenges surrounding Islam in the modern world.
5. The applicant must possess excellent knowledge of the state of Islam in their own country as well as that of other Southeast Asian countries.
6. The applicant must have the ability to comprehensively communicate the peaceful nature of Islam to a Japanese audience, especially youths who may not possess basic knowledge of the religion and its culture.
7. The applicant must demonstrate a willingness to sincerely answer questions and converse with the audience.
8. The applicant must be capable of substantial discussion in English.
9. The applicant must have concrete means of disseminating their experiences in Japan to their respective country and community upon return from the programme.
10. The applicant must have an interest in Japanese culture and society.
11. The applicant must be able to attend all activities as provided by the organiser.
1. Round-trip airfare between Tokyo and participant’s city of residence
2. Accommodation and daily allowance (in cash or in kind)
3. Medical insurance
Basic Terms & Conditions
1. Participants are expected to arrive and leave Japan with flights as arranged by the Japan Foundation which will be decided upon the participants’ confirmation. Participants are not allowed to extend their stay in Japan even at their own expense.
2. Participants are expected to join all group activities as set by the programme.
3. Participants may not be accompanied by any other person to Japan.
4. Participants will be required to prepare one or more presentations on given topics in order to facilitate conversation with university students and other relevant counterparts in Japan.
Call The Japan Foundation, Kuala Lumpur at 03 2284 6228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants from Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Singapore are advised to contact their local Japan Foundation office or Japanese embassy.