Applications are now open for the 2016 edition of The Japan Foundation Summer Institute in Japan. Over a period of four days, selected participants will engage in a series of lectures, discussions and presentations on potential collaborative projects. The programme is held with the aim of connecting scholars from universities and research institutes across Japan, the United States and Southeast Asia.
Duration: 28 July–1 August, 2016
Location: Shonan Village Centre, Hayama, Miura-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
Participants: Approx. 25 researchers from Japan, USA and Southeast Asia (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam)
Optional tour: Interested participants may join an observation tour of Fukushima Prefecture on 1–3 August, 2016
1. Applicants must be a scholar who is capable of and passionate of proposing and running an international collaborative project.
2. Applicants must be affiliated with an institution of higher learning or research institution in Japan, USA or one of the 10 Southeast Asian countries listed above. Post-docs are welcomed to apply.
3. Applicants must hold a PhD degree or have an equivalent research background, whose research is related to Japan either as a case study or professional field.
4. Applicants must be able to attend lectures and discussions in English. Preferences are made to those who are able to speak Japanese.
5. Applicants must be in good health.
6. Applicants must have prior approval from their affiliated institutions to attend the programme.
7. Applicants must be able to commit to the entire programme.
Step 1 | Prepare the following documents:
a) Application form (download here)
b) CV (max. 3 pages)
c) Statement of Purpose/Application Essay (max. 2 pages)
d) An essay proposing collaborative project ideas on Japan that are deliverable across various regions and professions
Step 2 | Save all documents in a zip folder and send to email@example.com by 12.00 p.m. (Japan Standard Time) on 28 April, 2016. Please limit the email size to less than 30MB.
All applicants will be notified of results by the end of May 2016.
Enquiries & More Information
Official webpage: http://www.jpf.go.jp/e/project/intel/study/network/2015/03-01.html
Enquiries by applicants from Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei:
Call The Japan Foundation, Kuala Lumpur at +6 03 2284 6228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants from outside these three countries are advised to contact their local Japan Foundation office.