This travel support programme provides assistance to emerging scholars in Asia to attend the Annual Conference of the Association for Asian Studies to be held in Washington, D.C.on 2225 March, 2018.
Organised yearly since 1995, the event is the largest of its kind in North America.Itregularly draws a turnout of 3,000 people from across various countries and disciplines,including graduate students and senior university faculty, as well as foundation, museum, and library staff. Delegates can expect a four-day programme jam-packed with paper presentations, roundtable discussions, workshops, book exhibition, film exposition, and panel sessions on a wide range of issues pertaining to the research and teaching of Asian affairs.
1. The applicant must be a Malaysian citizen currently attached to a university or research institution in Malaysia. 2. The applicant must be a scholar equipped with a master's degree or higher whose research theme is Japan-related. The applicant does not necessarily have to be a Japanese specialist, and may belong to any discipline in the social sciences and humanities. 3. The applicant must be able to commit to the entire duration of the conference from 22 to 25 March, 2017. 4. The applicant must be able to attend at least FIVE (5) Japan-related sessions at the conference.
Please submit the following documents to info[AT]jfkl.org.my by 15 November, 2017.
1. Application form (download here) 2. Statement of purpose (up to two pages)
Applicants will be notified of results by mid-December 2017.
In principle, the items below will be provided by the Japan Foundation:
1. Conference registration 2. Up to USD1,500 towards airfare (discount economy class only) 3. Accommodation for five nights (check-in on 21 March, check-out on 26 March)
Higher priority will be given to:
1. Emerging scholars who are currently teaching about Japan at educational institutions 2. Scholars who will participate in the accepted panel sessions at the conference
Basic Terms & Conditions
1. The awardee is required to stay in the Washington, D.C. area from 21 to 26 March and attend the entire duration of the conference as well as the meetings/events scheduled by the Japan Foundation prior to and after the conference. 2. The awardee must submit a final report by 30 April, 2018. 3. The awardee must obtain his or her own visa for entry to the United States. 4. This travel support programme provides financial assistance for specific costs and not the entirety of participation in the conference. Items not covered in the Participant Entitlements section or any amount exceeding them must be borne by the awardee. 5. The awardee must ensure that he or she is not barred from leaving the country by the Department of Immigration.
Enquiries & More Information
Visit the official website here.
For enquiries, contact Mr. Sulatan at info[AT]jfkl.org.my or 03 2284 6228.