With a view towards enhancing working relations between Asian academia across the region, the Japan Foundation is pleased to present a travel support programmes that gives assistance to emerging scholars to attend the AAS-in-ASIA Conference in Seoul, South Korea, on 24–27 June, 2017.
Initiated by the U.S.-based Association for Asian Studies (AAS), this year’s edition is the fourth in an annual series of panel and roundtable discussions concentrating on mainland China, Inner Asia, Northeast Asia, South Asia and the ASEAN region. Under the theme of Asia in Motion: Beyond Borders and Boundaries, the agenda includes topics as diverse as political and economic changes, literary and cultural expression, environmental sustainability, media and pop cultural production, food and energy policy, new models for Asian enterprise and business, as well as issues of globalisation and urban growth. Boasting a membership of well over 10,000 scholars across various disciplines in the social sciences and humanities, AAS is the largest Asia-focused organisation in the world.
1. The applicant must be a Malaysian citizen currently attached to a university or research institution in Malaysia.
2. The applicant must be a scholar equipped with a master’s degree or higher whose research theme is Japan-related. The applicant does not necessarily have to be a Japanese specialist, and may belong to any discipline in the social sciences and humanities.
3. The applicant must be able to commit to the entire duration of the conference from 24 to 27 June, 2017.
4. The applicant must be able to attend at least three Japan-related sessions at the conference.
Applicants will be notified of results by early April 2017.
1. Up to KRW200,000 towards the conference registration fee
2. Up to USD1,000 towards airfare
3. Up to USD1,000 towards accommodation for five nights (check in 23 June, check out 28 June)
Higher priority will be given to:
1. Emerging scholars who are currently teaching about Japan at tertiary institutions
2. Scholars who will participate in the accepted panel sessions at the conference
Basic Terms & Conditions
1. The awardee is required to stay in the Seoul area from 23 to 28 June and attend the entire duration of AAS-in-ASIA 2017 as well as the meetings scheduled by The Japan Foundation prior to and after the conference.
2. The awardee must submit a final report by 31 July, 2017.
3. The awardee must obtain his or her own visa for entry to South Korea.
4. The awardee must complete his or her registration for the conference by 2 June, 2017 and make the necessary arrangements before submitting a request for reimbursement and/or arrangement to The Japan Foundation.
5. This travel support programme provides financial assistance for specific costs and not the entirety of participation in the conference. Items not covered in the Participant Entitlements section or any amount exceeding them must be borne by the awardee.