This Summer Institute aims to provide opportunities for young researchers and graduate students to improve their research methods and abilities and build a trilateral network of researchers between the U.S., Southeast Asia, and Japan.
|Date||Saturday, July 21, 2018 – Wednesday, July 25, 2018|
|Locations||Tokyo and Hayama-machi in Kanagawa Prefecture
( Shonan Village Center )
|Schedule||Please refer to a sample schedule
*Please be aware the actual schedule may differ from this sample schedule.
|Lecturers||Academics from the U.S., Southeast Asia, and Japan in humanities and social sciences|
|Participants||Approximately 24 researchers from the U.S., Southeast Asia, and Japan.|
|Optional Tour||Those interested will be able to participate in an optional tour.
|Eligibility||Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
|Application Procedure|| Documents needed
Please submit the following documents to the Japan Foundation by email to
The Japan Foundation
|Deadline||9:30 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) , Monday, May 7, 2018|
|Notes||Application form and attached documents must be completed in English|
|Result Notification||Results will be announced by Friday, June 8, 2018|
The Japan Foundation will cover the costs detailed below during the program.
All other costs must be covered by the participants themselves.
FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
- Transportation, accommodation, and meals during the program in Tokyo and Hayama.
- Teaching materials and equipment necessary for the program.
- Transportation, accommodation and meals during the optional tour will be covered for participants attending the tour.
FOR PARTICIPANTS FROM OVERSEAS
- Round-trip tickets for a fixed, direct international flight to Japan (economy class).
Tickets will be purchased by the Japan Foundation.
- International travel insurance.
- Visa application fee and other travel costs that the Japan Foundation considers essential and daily per diem allowance according to the number of days of travel.
FOR PARTICIPANTS FROM JAPAN
- Round-trip transportation tickets between the railway station nearest to his/her home and Tokyo. Tickets will be purchased by the Japan Foundation.
- Other travel costs that the Japan Foundation considers essential and daily per diem allowance according to the number of days of travel.
- Throughout the period of the Summer Institute, participants must stay in the designated institution, and actively participate in the programs offered.
- Participants must submit questionnaires within 1 week after the Summer Institute ends.
- Participants must submit final reports within 1 month after the Summer Institute ends.
- Participants may share a guest room with another/other participant(s) during the institute and/or the optional tour. Room assignments will be made by the Japan Foundation.
- No interpreters or guides will be provided during the Summer Institute.
- Download the E-flyer here
- Summer Institute 2015 report available here
- Please visit here for more information regarding the program
* Participants of Summer Institute 2017 : Photo credit Kenichi Aikawa