This travel support programme provides assistance to emerging scholars in Southeast Asia to attend the AAS-in-ASIA conference to be held in Kyoto from 24 to 27 June, 2016.
Initiated by the U.S.-based Association for Asian Studies (AAS), this year's edition is the third in an annual series of panel and roundtable discussions concentrating on mainland China, Inner Asia, Northeast Asia, South Asia and the ASEAN region. Under the theme of Asia in Motion: Horizons of Hope, the agenda includes topics as diverse as environmental sustainability, food and energy policy, political and economic changes, new models for Asian enterprise and business, as well as issues of globalisation and urban growth. Boasting a membership of well over 10,000 scholars across various disciplines in the social sciences and humanities, AAS is the largest Asia-focused organisation in the world.
(1) The applicant must be a Malaysian citizen currently attached to a university or research institution in Malaysia.
(2) The applicant must be a scholar equipped with a master's degree or higher whose research theme is Japan-related. The applicant does not necessarily have to be a Japanese specialist, and may belong to any discipline in the social sciences and humanities.
(3) The applicant must be able to participate in the AAS-in-ASIA conference for the entire duration of the academic sessions from 24 to 26 June, 2016.
(4) The applicant must be able to attend at least five Japan-related sessions at the AAS-in-ASIA conference.
Please email the following documents to email@example.com
by 6 May, 2016
(1) Application form (download here
(2) Statement of purpose (up to 2 pages)
Applicants will be notified of results by mid-May 2016.
In principle, the items below will be provided in kind through the Japan Foundation:
(1) AAS-in-ASIA conference registration*
(2) Roundtrip airfare between the airport of the applicant's native country and the Kansai International Airport or Osaka Itami Airport*
(3) Up to 5 nights' accommodation from 23 to 27 June.
*If the awardee had already registered and/or purchased an air ticket at the time of submission, the full amount of the registration fee and/or the full or partial amount of the airfare will be reimbursed upon submission of appropriate receipt(s).
Higher priority will be given to applications from emerging scholars who are teaching about Japan at educational institutions in Southeast Asia.
Basic Terms & Conditions
(1) The awardee is required to stay in the Kyoto area and attend the conference for the entire duration of the academic sessions from 24 to 26 June, 2016.
(2) The awardee must submit a final report by 31 July, 2016.
(3) The awardee must obtain his or her own necessary visa for entry to Japan.
(4) The awardee must make necessary arrangements and pay for expenses that are not covered in the Participant Entitlements section or any amount exceeding it.
Enquiries & More Information
Official website: https://aas-in-asia-doshisha.com