INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION WORKSHOP & APAF ART CAMP 2018
The Japan Foundation Asia Center in cooperation with Arts Council Tokyo will hold APAF(Asian Performing Arts Forum) in Shizuoka and Tokyo from late-October to mid-November. The Japan Foundation, Kuala Lumpur will accept applications from young and mid-career performing arts practitioners in Malaysia who are strongly interested in international collaboration and willing to pursue performing arts career in the future.
A. WHAT IS APAF ?
APAF-Asian Performing Arts Forum, formerly the Asian Performing Art Festival which was launched in 2002 and now is one of the sectors within the Tokyo Festival, is a platform to seek mutual understanding and to encourage collaborations among young performing artists in Asian countries.
APAF Website: http://butai.asia/en/
1. International Collaboration Workshop
In this program, participants from different countries and background will be grouped into 3 teams, and will create a short piece of work on the theme ”Violent” with directors selected from Asian countries during a 10-days workshop, and perform at a theater in Tokyo. Also, participants will give a presentation/discussion open for public audience to share own experience and thought, and attend lectures, presentations, and performance viewing during the stay in Tokyo.
October 28 – November 13, 2018 (16 nights, 17 days)
– Workshop in Shizuoka: Shizuoka Performing Arts Park (SPAC-Shizuoka Performing Arts
– Rehearsal and performance in Tokyo: Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre http://www.geigeki.jp/
1.c) Qualification and requirements
- Young artists based in countries within Southeast Asia and East Asia including Japan with some skills and experience in theater. (Those involved in the creation of a theatrical production including actors, dancers, musicians, traditional performance actors and puppeteers.)
- Those in theater with a clear willingness and motivation to challenge new grounds and work collaboratively in unfamiliar environments with foreign cultures; those interested in stepping out of their comfort zones.
- Those who can participate fully in the program from October 28 to November 13, 2018.
- Those who can process all necessary documents, including visas, by their travel date. (The organizers will prepare necessary documents for visas.)
- In principal, extension of the stay is not accepted.
2. APAF Art Camp
APAF Art Camp is one of the programs within APAF, and this program is designed to cultivate the foundation of emerging young artists and personnel in a wide section of performing arts field among Japan and the Asian regions as creators. Instead of creating a performance piece at as a final product, Art Camp focuses on its process in which participants are expected to explore by sharing, inspiring and examining their perspectives and methods of creating works, and awareness of the issues they confront through a series of input and output.
Staying in Tokyo during the Tokyo Festival, this process is achieved through such input as performance viewing, lectures, and fieldwork, and output as speeches and discussion. During this program, a facilitator called captain supports participants in setting themes, formulating ideas and more. A presentation will be held on the last day to share with public audience.
November 5 – November 13, 2018 (8 nights, 9 days)
Theaters and other places in Tokyo area
2.c) Qualification and requirements
Those who mainly engaged in the fields of performing arts, e.g. director, choreographer, performers, dramaturge etc., based in Southeast Asia and Japan at the age of 40 or under, and who:
– can stay in Tokyo during the Art Camp period, and participate in the ALL events of Art
*Those who live in or near Tokyo may commute from their home if they wish.
– understand the aims of this program and wish to be actively involved.
– plan to continue performing arts activities in the future
– are able to communicate with other participants in English.
B. HOW TO APPLY
For both programs, complete the application form provided, attach a head shot photo, and send by email to the email address below by 5.30 p.m. on 6 June, 2018 (Wednesday).
The Japan Foundation, Ms.Tanji
* The selection results will be notified by the end of June, 2018.
The Japan Foundation, Ms. Tanji via email at email@example.com or call us at 03 2284 6228 (Mon–Fri, 8.30 a.m.–5.30 p.m.)
1) International Collaboration Workshop
2) APAF Art Camp