This travel support programme provides assistance to emerging scholars in Asia to attend the Annual Conference of the Association for Asian Studies to be held in New Delhi, India from 5 to 8 July, 2018.
Annual conference since 1995, the event is the largest of its kind in North America. Over 3,000 attendees from across the world are expected to attend the four-day programme comprising paper presentations, roundtable discussions, workshops, book exhibition, film exposition, and panel sessions on a wide range of issues pertaining to the research and teaching of Asian affairs.
However, the AAS-in-ASIA conferences are intended to be smaller size conferences than the typical AAS Annual Conferences. This conference gives our members and others interested in Asian Studies, who are unable to attend the Annual Conferences held in North America, the opportunity to participate on panel sessions and network with colleagues in a more intimate setting. Although smaller in size, these conferences include the same exciting features as the Annual Conference, including sessions, keynote speakers, book exhibits and receptions.
Each year, AAS-in-ASIA conferences are a joint production between the Association for Asian Studies and a local host university and committee.
- The applicant must be a Malaysian or Singaporean citizen currently attached to any university, research institution or a think-tank institution in Malaysia or in Singapore.
- The applicant must be a scholar equipped with a master’s degree or higher whose research theme is Japan-related. The applicant does not necessarily have to be a Japanese specialist, and may belong to any discipline in the social sciences and humanities.
- The applicant must be able to commit to the entire duration of the conference from 5 to 8 July, 2018.
- The applicant must be able to attend at least FIVE Japan-related sessions at the conference.
Please submit the following documents to email@example.com by 26 February, 2018.
- Application instruction manual ( download here )
- Application form ( download here )
- Statement of purpose ( up to 2 pages )
Applicants will be notified of results by mid-MARCH 2018.
In principle, the items below will be provided through The Japan Foundation:
- Conference registration fee (in-kind)
- Up to USD 1,000.00 towards airfare (Discount Economy Only)
- Accommodation for 5 nights (Check-in: July 4 2018, Check-out: July 9 2018) (in-kind)
Higher priority will be given to:
- Scholars who are to be participated in the accepted panel sessions at the conference.
- Scholars (associate professor, assistant professor, senior lecture) who are teaching about Japan at the higher educational institutions.
BASIC TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The awardee is required to stay in New Delhi from 4 to 9 July 2018 and attend the conference for the whole duration as well as the meetings/events held by The Japan Foundation scheduled before and after the conference.
- The awardee must submit a final report by 30 August, 2018.
- The awardee must obtain necessary visa (ESTA) for entry to India.
- This travel support provides financial assistance but does not cover the whole cost of travel. Items not covered in the above “Participant Entitlements” or amount exceeding must be borne by the Awardee.
- The awardee must make sure his/her name is not under the black-listed by the Department of Immigration for leaving this country.
ENQUIRIES & MORE INFORMATION
Official website: http://www.aas-in-asia2018.com/