The Japan Foundation, Kuala Lumpur announces the opening of the application process for the 2018 edition of the Talk to a Muslim series (TAMU). Now in its third year, with the aim of developing better understanding in Japan of Southeast Asian culture and society, in which moderate Islam is deeply embedded, this program will engage Southeast Asian Muslims and Japanese youth in conversations through various activities of exchange.
|Duration||10 days from Sunday, November 4 to Tuesday, November 13, 2018|
|Locations||Tokyo and provincial cities|
|Participants||Maximum of 10 young Muslims who actively engage in social activities/services based on Islamic values from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Brunei and Cambodia|
Requirements for Participants:
Young Muslims who
- are in their 20s and 30s (must be under 40 as of Nov. 1, 2018)
- actively engage in social activities/services based on Islamic values in such fields as education, journalism, art, social welfare, NGO activities (i.e. micro finance, environmental conservation, disaster recovery and prevention, human rights, advocacy for socially marginalized people, conflict prevention and resolution, etc. )
- hold either of the following nationalities: Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Brunei and Cambodia
- have high awareness in various challenges surrounding Islam in today’s world
- have a good knowledge of Islam in respective countries and in Southeast Asia
- can communicate peaceful nature of Islam in comprehensive way to the Japanese audience, especially to the youth who do not have basic knowledge about Islam and its culture
- are open to questions and willing to converse with audience sincerely
- are capable of substantial discussion in English
- have concrete means of disseminating their experiences in Japan in their community/country after they return to their countries
- are interested in Japanese culture and society
- can attend all the activities set by the organizer
Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum Vitae and Essay (download the guideline here )
- One recommendation letter (download here)
- Please email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with email title “TAMU 2018” by 15th July 2018, Sunday.
Compensation for Participants:
- Round-trip airfare between Tokyo and the city where the participant is based
- Accommodations and daily allowance (in cash or in kind)
- Medical insurance during the Program in Japan
- Participants are expected to arrive and leave Japan with flights to be arranged by the Japan Foundation which will be decided upon participants’ confirmation. Participants are not expected to extend their stay in Japan even at their own expense.
- Participants are expected to take part in all the group activities set by the program.
- Participants may not be accompanied by any other person to Japan.
*Participants will be required to prepare a presentation(s) on given topics before coming to Japan for conversations with university students and other relevant counterparts.
Japan Foundation Asia Center organizes the Program in good cooperation with Prof. Emeritus Mitsuo Nakamura of Chiba University as Advisor and Dr. Ken Miichi of Waseda University as Coordinator. The program will also seek for cooperation and support from concerned organizations and experts both in Japan and Southeast Asia.