This travel support gives assistance to emerging young Asian scholars to attend the AAS Annual Conference held in Bangkok from July 1 to 4, 2019. By doing so, the Japan Foundation hopes to support scholars’ academic career development as well as to create stronger network cultivated among Japan scholars in Asia, North America, and Japan.
Located at a geographical crossroads where people, ideas and trades intersect, the 2019 AAS-in-Asia conference hosted by Thammasat University in Bangkok in collaboration with Chulalongkorn University, Mahidol University, Kasetsart University, and Chiang Mai University, is pleased to invite scholars, students, development practitioners and public intellectuals to participate and critically examine and discuss these topics under the overarching theme “Asia in Motion: Asia on the Rise?” This event will be an opportunity for people to share their research and professional experience with a view to better understand the risks, challenges and problems that lie at the heart of “Asia’s rise,” to explore its long-term history and cultural depth, and to ensure that they can be understood rightly and coped with properly.
- Applicant must obtained Master’s degree and above;
- Applicant must participant in the conference for the full duration; from July 1 to 4, 2019. To attend the conference, applicant must be arriving in Bangkok on June 30 and leave July 5.
Please submit the following documents to info[at]jfkl[dot]org[dot]my by 18th February 2019:
- Application Instruction Manual (download here)
- Application Form (download here)
- Statement of Purpose (up to 2 pages)
The Japan Foundation Kuala Lumpur (JFKL) will notify the results to the successful applicants by end of March 2019.
ITEMS TO BE PROVIDED
- Conference registration fee;
- Airfare for a round trip between the nearest airport from ones residence and Don Muang /Suvarnabhumi International Airport. The Japan Foundation only covers cost for discount-economy tickets less than USD 500.00. Exceeding amount shall be borne by awardees;
- Accommodation for 5 nights (Check-in: June 30, Check-out July 5).
*Provided in-kind / Awardees must stay in the hotel provided by the Japan Foundation.
Higher priority is given to:
- Emerging scholars who are teaching about Japan at the higher educational institutions in Malaysia, Singapore or Brunei.
- Scholars whose panel/paper proposal has been accepted by the AAS Program Committee.
BASIC TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Awardees are required to arrive a day before the conference starts (June 30, 2019) and leave a day after the conference ends (July 5, 2019) to/from Bangkok area to cover the whole duration of conference and related activities of the Japan Foundation;
- Awardees must stay in the accommodation provided by the Japan Foundation;
- Awardees are required to attend at least 5 panel sessions related to Japan, and shall report on those panels in their final report;
- Awardees are required to attend meetings/events held by the Japan Foundation scheduled before and after the conference. The detail will be provided later;
- If awardees were found not following the above, the Japan Foundation may ask you for refund of costs that the Japan Foundation bore for the awardees;
- If awardees decided not to attend the conference after they submit the “acceptance form”, the Japan Foundation may ask you for refund of costs that the Japan Foundation bore for the awardees;
- Awardees must submit a final report by July 31, 2019;
- Awardees must obtain necessary visa for entry to Thailand, and bear the cost;
- This travel support provides financial assistance but does not cover the whole cost of travel. Items not covered in the above “4. Items to be Provided” and/or amount exceeding the limit must be borne by the Awardee. Also, the Japan Foundation strongly recommends the awardees to acquire travel insurance by themselves;
- Awardees agree that the photos taken by the Japan Foundation may be used for its publication and/or web media.
ENQUIRIES & MORE INFORMATION
For further enquiries, please contact JFKL at info[at]jfkl[dot]org[dot]my or 03-2284 6228.